For optimal performance, use the latest generation Web browser your system will support. For computers running Windows 7 or Vista, we recommend using Internet Explorer 9. For machines running XP, use Internet Explorer 8.
Other browsers and devices may be used to view data in MetricWise -- smart phones, iPads, other browsers -- but for entering data into the system, we strongly recommend IE 8 or IE 9 only.
Follow the steps below to determine your Windows version. Then follow the general instructions for all Windows operating systems to find your Internet Explorer version and configure your internet browser settings.
Verifying your Version of Windows
(For Windows XP workstations)
Click on Start in the System Tray; click Run.
Type "winver" in the command line and press enter.
If the version is Windows XP, the Internet Explorer version should be IE 8.
If these steps are not appropriate, view the instructions for Windows Vista and Windows 7 below.
(For Windows Vista and Windows 7 workstations)
Click on the Windows button in the system tray and type "winver" in the command line.
If the version is Vista or Windows 7, the Internet Explorer version should be IE 9.
If these steps are not appropriate, view the instructions for Windows XP above.
Verifying your Version of Internet Explorer
(For all Windows versions)
Click on the Help tab or the blue question mark icon or the menu item. Help in the tool bar at the top of your browser window.
Click on About Internet Explorer.
If your Internet Explorer version is lower than IE 8 and your Windows version is XP, download version 8 free of charge from www.microsoft.com/downloads. You will need administrative access to do this. After the download is complete, follow the steps below.
If your Internet Explorer version is lower than IE 9 and your Windows version is Vista or Windows 7, download version 9 free of charge from www.microsoft.com/downloads. You will need administrative access to do this. After the download is complete, follow the steps below.
Configuring your Internet Browser
(For all Windows versions)
Adding the MetricWise server to Trusted Sites List
Click on theTools menu at the top of your browser window.
- Go to Internet Options > Security.
- Click the green Trusted Sites check mark.
- Click on the button labeled Sites underneath and to the right of Trusted Sites as shown below.
- At the bottom of the window, deselect the check mark in the box labeled Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone, as shown below.
- In the field Add this website to the zone, type your server url i.e.: https://<yourserver>.metricwise.net, as shown below.
- Click the Add button.
- Click the Close button on this window.
To allow MetricWise as a cookie
Continue on from the steps above:
- Click on the Privacy tab
- Locate the Select a setting for the internet zone and slide the setting to Medium.
- Click on the Sites button.
- In the field Address of Website type in the server url, i.e.: https://<yourserver>.metricwise.net.
- Click the Allow button.
- Click the OK button to finish.
The configuration is complete, and your work station is now ready to use MetricWise.
To set MetricWise as your home page (optional):
Click on Tools > Internet Option > General
- Type in your server name in the field “To create home page tabs...” i.e.: https://<yourserver>.metricwise.net in the Home Page field.
- Click OK.
To create a MetricWise shortcut (optional):
- Type your MetricWise server url (ii.e.; https://<yourserver>.metricwise.net) into the address bar and click enter.
- Left click and drag the Window World "W" from the address bar onto the desktop
- If you want to rename the shortcut, right click anywhere within the new MetricWise icon and from the menu displayed, select Rename
- Type in the new name.
- Left click and drag the icon to a convenient location on the desktop